Aging windows are not only unsightly, but they can be difficult to open, wreak havoc on your energy bills, and are more vulnerable to cracks and breaks in the glass. Typically, the summer home improvement projects that we would most like to keep at the bottom of our to-do lists are usually the ones that we need to move to the top.
How Do I Know if it’s Time to Replace My Windows?
Here are some signs that it might be time to consider replacing your windows:
- You’re feeling drafts inside of your home - cool air in the winter and warm air in the summer.
- Your windows are not opening and closing easily or smoothly.
- Your windows are looking deteriorated, chipped, or worn.
- Your energy bill is getting more expensive - usually due to weakening window seals.
- Too many outdoor sounds are coming in - birds, traffic, people, etc.
When is the Best Time of the Year to Replace Windows?
Ideally, summer is the best time to replace windows or in the fall when it’s not too cold yet. There are a few key reasons to take on replacing windows when the weather is warmer. First, your heating bill won’t balloon from letting cold air into the house, especially if you’re replacing several windows. Second, caulk adheres much better in warmer temperatures. And finally, because aluminum and vinyl expand in warm weather and contract in cold weather, summer window replacement means your caulk is less likely to crack and split.
What are the Advantages of Replacing My Windows?
- Home Value - according to a survey on ISoldMyHouse.com, replacing windows in your home can increase your home’s value you by 85% (i.e., if you spend $10,000 on new windows, your home value can increase by $8,500). Replacing old worn out windows with double-paned, crystal clear windows can dramatically improve your curb appeal. Factor in what you will save on energy costs, and over time, the replacements will pay for themselves.
- Health Issues - old windows that are no longer properly sealed not only let in cold and hot air, but they can also let in allergens and pollen that irritate those with allergies. Double-pane windows are the best choice for keeping allergens outside where they belong. New well-sealed windows will also keep moisture out of your home. Water in unwanted place can eventually turn into mold and mildew, creating another potential health hazard.
- Lower Heating/Cooling Bills - energy efficiency continues to dominate as the top motivation for replacing windows. Most of a home’s energy loss happens through doors and windows that are old, worn, or not properly sealed. With airtight seals and improved insulation, new energy efficient windows will keep the warm air out in the summer and the cold air out in the winter. This will, in turn, keep your heating and cooling bills down without all of the air escaping through your doors and windows.
In operation for just over 25 years, Select Windows, Inc. delivers knowledge, hard work, and dedication in providing superior products and installation throughout all seasons. From repairing old windows to installing newer versions or designs, our window replacement installers can help you find the perfect fit for any project this summer. Give us a call today at (650) 941-0744, visit our website to learn more about the services we offer and the brands we carry or like us on Facebook to view our recent work.